Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mmm, Indian Food!

Do you like Indian food?

I do! I like it a lot! I'm sure some of you may be skeptical, but I guarantee you can find something on an Indian menu that you will appreciate. It took me 4 or 5 times to find a dish I really liked, but now I am hooked. There are at least a dozen menu options I would be quite pleased with these days.

In Louisville, we are fortunate to have many great dining destinations featuring cuisines from all over the globe. Indian is no exception. There are several competent choices, but Bombay Grill on N. Hurstbourne is probably my favorite. They feature both Northern and Southern Indian fare. Most other Indian restaurants in the city (and in the country) only offer Northern Indian cuisine. Bombay seems to be a slight step above its competitors in terms of presentation and quality of ingredients.

Kashmir, on Bardstown Road in the Highlands, is a sentimental favorite of mine, though. This is where I was introduced to Indian food. It is also the most conveniently located to where I live. I will always be a Kashmir fan and supporter, but Bombay is unparalleled in Louisville. Shalimar, on S. Hurstbourne, and Dak Shin, on Bardstown Road near Fern Creek (featuring everything from Northern Indian to Indo-Chinese) are not bad choices either. I can go to virtually any Indian restaurant and be happy.

If you have convinced yourself that there is no possible way you would like Indian food, I bet I could prove you wrong. A common misconception is that all Indian cookery is very spicy. Not true. It certainly can be, but many dishes are available, and even intended to be, mildly spiced. The flavors are always bold, but they won't necessarily melt your face. Give me a call if you want to go sometime. I am always down for Indian!

Go Cards!

If you go...

Bombay Grill, 216 N. Hurstbourne Parkway, (502) 425-8892, www.bombaygrillky.com
Kashmir, 1285 Bardstown Road, (502) 473-8765, www.kashmirlouisville.com
Shalimar, 1850 S. Hurstbourne Parkway, (502) 493-8899, www.shalimarlouisville.com
Dak Shin, 4742 Bardstown Road, (502) 491-7412, www.mydakshin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment